Off campus accommodation styles

Your options for off campus accommodation include renting, sharing with other students, or boarding with a family. You’ll need to consider the costs in all cases for:

  • rent
  • electricity and gas (including connection fees)
  • water usage
  • food and groceries
  • internet and phone
  • furniture (if required)

Renting a house or flat

Real estate agents have houses and flats up for rent and welcome student enquiries. Real estate agents and landlords will want to make sure you’ll look after a property, so you’ll need two or three references. These could be from your school, work, or someone in the business community.

There are few single bedroom flats or bed-sitters in Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst or Wagga Wagga. If you’re intending to rent, you may need to have someone to share with or advertise a room or rooms to rent.

Upfront costs to renting

The first cost you’ll need to consider is the bond. Bond is usually the equivalent of four to six weeks rent, and two weeks rent in advance.

Electricity and gas connection fees

Connection fees for gas and electricity vary depending on the provider. Some providers allow you to pay this fee with your first account. Ask whether the provider will waive the fee if you set up a direct debit on your account. Compare prices and services from different providers to see what works best for you.

Water charges

Water access charges are usually paid by the landlord, but you’ll need to pay for your water use. Water charges may vary depending on how many people live with you, and how much water you need to maintain the garden. Contact your local water provider for more information.

Internet and telephone and connection fees

There is a fee for connecting a landline phone and the internet. Contact a range of providers to compare prices.

Renting a farmhouse

The same criteria apply to renting a farmhouse as renting a house or flat. The advantages are you may be able to keep a horse or pet and the environment would be quieter, however you will need to consider the distance from the University and shopping facilities. You may find transport and fuel costs are more expensive, even if your rent is cheaper.

Sharing a house or flat

You can split the cost by sharing a house or flat with other students or the owner. People will have their own bedroom. You’ll use shared facilities, like the bathroom, kitchen and laundry. You’ll also share the costs for utilities, such as electricity and gas.


Families or mature age adults who enjoy the company of students may offer to board. Hosting a boarder can also assist them to reduce their cost of living.

The services included in your board will vary, but it can be the cheapest type of accommodation depending on what’s included. Check with your hosts to see whether boarding with them includes:

  • a furnished room
  • washing or ironing
  • electricity and gas
  • some or all meals (and what happens if you miss a meal?)